Brown stains are usually a sign of water damage. Sagging and uneven ceilings are also signs of water damage. Cleaning water damage above your head can be a tedious task, but it is possible to restore a water damaged ceiling with bleach and paint. If the damage is severe, you might need to contact a water removal specialist. Water stains on your ceiling can be a breeding ground for bacteria and mold spores. Inhaling the bacteria can cause serious respiratory health issues. In severe cases, some people need to be hospitalized after breathing in mold spores. Fortunately, most water damaged ceilings can be cleaned quickly and cheaply.
Drain the Water
Carefully drain all water from the ceiling. You should cover your floors with plastic and place buckets underneath the water stains. Pierce the ceiling to drain the water. If a large amount of water does not gush from the ceiling, you can collect the water in buckets and proceed to seal the leak. You will have to call a contractor if an uncontrollable amount of water gushes out of the ceiling. The ceiling can collapse if the plaster is severely damaged.
Turn on the Exhaust Fans
After you have stopped the flow of water, you should turn on fans to ventilate the room. If the room is too humid, mold will start to grow on the ceiling. Turn on the exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathrooms. Do not turn on the air conditioner. The excess moisture in the air can increase humidity levels and worsen the problem.
Absorb Water With a Dry Sponge
When most of the humidity has dissipated from the air, you should clean the ceiling with a dry sponge. The sponge will absorb the water. You can remove the ceiling tiles when you remove all noticeable water from the surface. If the ceiling is soaked beneath the surface, you should throw away the damaged material. Dispose of the sponge when you are finished soaking up the water.
Clean With Bleach and Paint
After replacing any damaged material, you should clean the surface with a mixture of water and bleach. Do not saturate the ceiling. When the ceiling is clean and dry, you should coat the surface with a sealer. The sealer will prevent mold from growing on the ceiling. Be aware that bleach can stain some materials. Always test out bleach on a small surface area before cleaning the whole ceiling. If a ceiling fan is near the water damage, you should contact an electrical contractor before removing the ceiling.
When you are cleaning and painting, you should open windows to ventilate the area. Inhaling paint fumes can cause dizziness and respiratory problems. Fans should always be used while the ceiling is being restored. If you have access to a dehumidifier, you should turn it on while you are cleaning and painting. Mold can grow quickly on damp surfaces, so you should not prolong repairing a damaged ceiling.